These days an electric string trimmer is essential to add those finishing touches to your newly mowed lawn but with such a vast array of different types available where do you even begin to look? Before you buy a trimmer have a walk around your garden and try to gauge how long it will take to complete the trimming as this will play a part in your decision.
The newest electric string trimmers of today are powerful enough to handle just about any stubborn grass or weeds so there’s no need to mess about with gas powered trimmers. So let’s go through what types of electric trimmers are available and which individual features will best suit your gardening needs.
A corded trimmer is by far the lightest of all trimmers weighing in between 5 to 10 pounds. At the push of the button you’re ready to go and they are so much quieter than gas trimmers. They do need a power point and are restricted to the length of the extension cord.
That restriction is 100 feet because anything longer and the trimmer won’t get sufficient power to operate properly. So if you have a particularly large property a cordless trimmer may be more suitable. But for everyone else a corded trimmer is ideal.
A cordless trimmer is not restricted by an extension cord so you are free to move around no matter the size of your property. However cordless trimmers rely on the rechargeable battery which produces its power. These batteries have very different run times and are a huge bone of contention among users.
Some have impressive run times of about an hour whereas others only manage 15 to 20 minutes at a time. And that’s not the only problem as some of the batteries can take up to 8 hours to recharge before you can use them again.
Fortunately there are others that can be charged fairly quickly (within an hour) so you can carry on and finish the job. A solution is to buy more than one battery so you can swap them out and carry on but that can be expensive. Some trimmers actually come with a pair of batteries so you can use one while the other is charging.
Another important issue with cordless trimmers is balance – with the rechargeable battery at the top and the motor at the bottom the better the balance the lighter the trimmer will feel.
Other Features You Need To Consider
1) Choose a trimmer that has a swivel cutting head – These trimmers allow you to rotate the head 90 degrees and use it as an edger to trim along flower beds, driveways etc.
2) Changing the string spool – while trimming you don’t want a lot of downtime changing the spool so you need a trimmer head that just snaps off.
3) Manual, Semi-Automatic and Automatic Feed Systems- Manual feed systems require you to stop the trimmer and advance the line manually. With Semi-Automatic or Bump Feed you will need to bump the bottom of the trimmer on the ground to get the line to advance. There are two automatic feed systems – a) The trimmer uses centrifugal force to feed more line or b) When you stop and restart the trimmer a new length of line will be introduced. You may need to do this more than once as the trimmer only releases about a inch at a time.
4) Cordless trimmers either use Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) or Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) rechargeable batteries. The NiCad batteries are the older type of batteries used in trimmers. They weigh about twice as much as the Li-Ion batteries but only have half the power. If you can rather go with a trimmer that uses a Li-Ion battery, they are the better option.
5) The cutting path or swathe of a trimmer varies from trimmer to trimmer. It ranges from 8 inch to 15 inch. Remember the smaller the cutting path the longer it will take to finish the job.
6) Please always be safety conscious when using trimmers as they do kick up lot of debris. Wear long pants and always use some sort of eye protection. If you do find the noise from the trimmer still too loud for your liking then wear ear muffs of ear plugs.
Using the information above you now know what features are important and what you should be looking for when shopping for an best electric string trimmer. I do hope this short guide will help you to make an informed decision when you do decide to buy your electric string trimmer.
Matching the correct trimmer with what a buyer is looking for is very important
Before you decide to buy a trimmer it is important to read comprehensive electric string trimmer reviews. Click to visit http://www.electricstringtrimmerreviews.net for comprehensive and in depth reviews on the most popular string trimmers available.